The Guyana Cultural Association of New York Awards
Call for Nominations – 2013
Guyana Cultural Association of New York will host its annual Awards Ceremony on August 28th, 2013 in Brooklyn, NY. Our anniversary theme is Sacrifice, Hope, Togetherness to acknowledge this year’s commemoration of anti-slavery uprisings and rebellions and the arrivals of indentured laborers. Today’s Guyana is a society of the descendants of those experiences who joined the first natives – Amerindians – to forge a common identity. Collectively they all proudly stand as Guyanese.
Starting in 2001 the Guyana Cultural Association of New York has been the leader in recognizing those who have inspired us. Nominations for awards are now open until July 12th, 2013. We will acclaim exemplars of various features of our culture who demonstrated all three components of our theme.
Our awards celebrate outstanding contributors in the following categories:
• Guyana Cultural Association Award
• Guyana Cultural Association Award – Youth
• Guyana Cultural Association Exemplary Award
• Guyana Cultural Association Lifetime Achievement Award
What We Do – Nominations are open June 19 to July 12th 2013
Request nominations from anyone or entity and assess the submissions that are complete and on time.
• Nomination can be submitted for a person or an entity whose work fits within the theme – Sacrifice, Hope, Togetherness.
• Youth nominations must detail the academic and extracurricular accomplishments that position the nominee above the average in his or her area of scholastic and cultural activities.
A selection committee evaluates each nomination considering seven criteria: originality, scope, impact / influence, integration, pioneering spirit, challenges and achievements.
Please refer to the attached document for more details on the selection criteria. Selections will only be made from Nominations received on time complete with photographs.
Please click here for Nomination Form below.
Your questions about the 2013 Awards can be sent to this email address: AwardsNomination@guyfolkfest.org.
Past honorees are listed at these two locations: http://guyfolkfest.com/archives/archives-awards
Ronald H. Lammy
Chair, Guyana Cultural Association Awards Committee
This attribute refers to the nature of the idea, expression, or product/innovation. The term “expression” issued here refers to more than verbal expressions and can include any manifestation of Guyanese creativity from cuisine, clothing, music, visual and performing arts, etc.
Did the idea, expression, product/innovation have ramifications /consequences beyond the village, country, region, etc? Has it been long lasting? Here we also consider factors that could have constrained or restricted the scope of the idea, expression, product /innovation.
Did the idea, expression, or product/innovation have economic, political, cultural, and social consequences?
Did the idea, expression, or product or innovation contribute to social, cultural, and political harmony? Also, did it lead to the improvement of cultural understanding?
5. Pioneering spirit:
Pioneering spirit refers to an idea, expression, and product or innovation that was introduced even in the face of derision.
This refers to nominees who have overcome physical, psychological, economic, social, residential, cultural, and political barriers to make a contribution that satisfies some of the criteria or attributed listed at 1 through 5.
This refers to the nominee’s body of work. It is not a mere quantitative measure – “Nuff is not always the best.”
8. Youth – Outstanding Achievement:
The nominee must attain one of the top three grade rankings in his or her institutions programs in the humanities, creative and expressive arts. Evaluation emphasis will be placed on accomplishments in music, theatre arts, Caribbean history and Caribbean literature. If the latter two are not available in the nominee’s school’s curriculum, world history and world literature will be accepted as substitutes.
© June 2010 (Revised)
• The Guyana Cultural Association Lifetime Achievement Award is reserved for Guyanese nationals.
• The Guyana Cultural Association Exemplary Award is presented to a person and The Guyana Cultural Association Award is offered to an individual or entity.
• Youth awardees are either born in Guyana, or have at least one parent who is Guyanese, or of Guyanese descent.Completing a Nomination
• Focus on the selection criteria that describe the nominee’s contribution.
• Be specific and concise. Submit 100 or more words but do not exceed 500.
• Assume the review committee knows nothing about the nominee.
• Provide a photograph with your form.
• Email your completed form before July 12, 2013NOMINATION DEADLINE IS JULY 12, 2013Selections will only be made from Nominations received on time and are complete.
• It is the responsibility of the nominator to ensure that the nomination is complete.